The Gemünder Factory
The so-called Gemünd factory was established in 1785 as an iron cutting mill. It was enlarged between 1833 and 1836 by Richard Poensgen into an industrial complex with about a hundred workers. Here, strip-, rolled-, and rod-iron were produced.
For this, the Englishman P. Chillingworth set up a wire factory, which supplied the source material for the industrial production of nails.
After the relocation of production to Düsseldorf in 1862, there was an attempt, under strictest secrecy, to manufacture cast iron.
Eventually, Ferdinand Poensgen took over the factory premises and until 1925, produced wire and nails, as can be seen in the pictures above.