Sawmills in Gangfort
For centuries, the regional economy was shaped by the Eifel forests. Countless sawmills worked to capacity, preparing timber for building and for furniture. For decades the sawmill of the Dartenne Brothers, formerly Reinshagen, had spread out in the Gangfort area, round a 1458-built ironworks with hammer mill.
The timber yard and associated workshops extended from the level crossing on the main road right to the end of the builtup area. The conflicting requirements of housing and industrial use meant that the sawmill could not remain, and it was closed down in the 1960s.
A remaining half-timbered complex is still used today as a building yard.